1. What is the Internet and Computing Core (IC3) Certification?
Certiport’s Internet and Computing Core Certification (IC³®) is an ideal certification for those who want to demonstrate critical computer and Internet skills valued in today’s academic and professional environments. It is the world’s first certification program for digital literacy. IC³ is the most commonly recognized standard of digital literacy today. IC³ is accepted for college credit by the American Council on Education (ACE) and aligned with the National Educational Technology Standards (NETS) for teachers and students from the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). Students and teachers who achieve IC³ certification possess the validated skills and knowledge required for basic use of computer hardware, software, networks, and the Internet. Not only are they tools for success in the 21st Century classroom but also for higher education, employment, and life.
The IC³ certification consists of three part exam (each exam takes less than an hour to complete):
- Part A: Computing Fundaments: Computer Hardware, Computer Software, Using an Operating System
- Part B: Key Applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Part C: Living Online: Networks, Electronic Mail, Internet and impact of Internet on Society
2. What are the benefits of Internet and Computing Core (IC3) Certification?
Following is a list of advantages of an Internet and Computing Core (IC3) Certification:
- Portable credential accessible anywhere through online transcripts
- Provides the confidence to integrate computer and Internet technology
- Validates the skills of job seekers.
- Differentiate the candidate from their competitors
- Gain recognition from employer
- Help get a raise, find a job and promote your expertise.
- Demonstrate competence with basic computer skill and add value to the workplace
3. What is the process for getting an IC3 Certification?
The IC3 Certification is a three-step process:
- Prepare for the following exam:
- Computing Fundaments (Hardware, Software, Operating System)
- Key Applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Living Online (Networking, Email, Internet & Internet Society)
3. Schedule for an exam: If you are in Southern California, click here or call (714) 505-3475 to register for the exam. Otherwise use the Certiport Locator to find a Certiport Authorized Test Center near you.
Note: To receive IC3 Certification, you must pass all three exams: Computing Fundamental, Key Applications, Living Online. Within four weeks of passing a certification exam, you will receive an official certificate in the mail with Certiport logo from Certiport that highlights your accomplishment.
4. What is covered in the IC3 Certification exam?
Following are the list of topics that are covered in Part A (Computing Fundamentals) exam:
- What is an OS and what does it do?
- Manage computer files and folders
- PC configuration, Control Panel, OS drivers
- Common computer terminology
- Types of Computers & Mobile d=Devices
- Computer performance
- Installing/Uninstalling Software
- Understanding SW licenses
- Types of software applications & tools
- Troubleshooting basic software problems
- Troubleshooting basic hardware problems
- Devices and Peripherals
- Backup and Restore
Following are the list of topics that are covered in Part B (Key Applications) exam:
- Common Application Features
- Basic Text Formatting
- Navigating Files and Folders
- Working with multimedia files
- Word processing activities and methods
- Tables & Lists
- Page Layout
- Spreadsheet components
- Worksheet Layout
- Working with Data
- Presentation activities
- Inserting content
- Slide Management
- Slide Design
- Basic Database Interactions
- Record Managements
- Sharing files
Following are the list of topics that are covered in Part C (Living Online) exam:
- The Internet, Browsers, and WWW
- Navigation on the Internet using a browser
- Internet Connection
- Network types and features, capabilities
- Network connection troubleshooting
- E-mail communication
- Real-Time Communication
- Digital citizenship /”NETIQUETTE”
- Communication standards
- Legal and responsible use of computers
- Secure online communication or activity
- Research fluency
- Using Search Engines
- Evaluate search results
- Using advanced features of search engines
5. How do I register for an IC3 Certification exam?
The registration for the IC3 exam is a two step process.
The second step is to visit NR Computer Learning Center or call us at (714) 505-3475 to schedule for a time to sit for the exam.
NR Computer Learning Center (NRCLC) is an Authorized Testing Center for IC3 exam. We are located in Orange County and provides service to anyone interested in IC3 Certification exam to certify their knowledge in using the hardware, software, operating system, word processor, spreadsheet, presentation, email and the Internet. We are located at 1835 W. Orangewood, Suite 200, Orange, CA 92868.
Testing Hours (By appointment only): Mon-Sat: 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM. (Close on Sunday and holidays)
6. Does NRCLC provide assistance in preparing for IC3 Exam?
NR Computer Learning Center provides hands-on instructor-led training to prepare students for this exam. For the schedule for upcoming training, visit http://www.nrclc.com/schedule. NR Computer Learning Center also provides Instructor Led Online courses.
- Online Classes: For more information on E-Learning program, click here
- For more information on hands-on instructor-led classroom training, click here.
- To purchase a voucher the exam, click here.
- To schedule an exam, click here.
- For more information, visit www.nrclc.com or call us at 714 -505-3475 to discuss the option that will best suit your situation.
7. How do I register for a hands-on training course at NR Computer Learning Center?
There are several ways to register for a hands-on instructor-led classroom training:
- You can call our office at (714) 505-3475
- You can fax your registration form to our office at (714) 505-3476 and mail a check (made payable to NR Computer Learning Center)
- You can email your registration form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can mail your registration form with a check (made payable to payable to NR Computer Learning Center) at:
NR Computer Learning Center
Location: 1835 W Orange Ave, STE 200, Orange, CA 92868 (Close to the intersection of 5 and 57 Freeway.)
Office Timing: Mon – Sat, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- You can book an appointment and complete your registration in person
For more information on the IC3 Certifications, visit the Certiport site at http://www.certiport.com/Portal/desktopdefault.aspx?page=common/pagelibrary/IC3_home.html